Multiple materials on a single object in Autodesk Maya
Perfect for single objects (Created using one mesh) that require multiple materials like a football.
- Select the object
- Apply a standard Lambert material (Under the rendering tab > Matte grey ball)
- In the attribute editor select one colour
- Select the faces on the object that need to be a different colour
- Click on the Lambert material button again
- Select another colour from the attribute editor
- Each time you add a new material (In this case, Lambert), it is represented as a new node (Tab) in the attribute editor, eg.. Lambert1, Lambert2, etc…
- You can also apply existing materials by selecting the faces you want to assign the material to, bringing up the floating menu > Assign Existing Material > Pick the material
THIS PREVENTS YOU CREATING DUPLICATE MATERIALS
- Remember that Blinn’s are reflective by default. Useful!!