Using edge loops in Autodesk Maya
Edge loops allow you to add details to your object at points you choose.
- Edge loops can be easier seen in wireframe mode (Press 4)
- Select the edge tool
- Double click on any edge, you will see that selects the edges around the diameter of the object, this is called an EDGE LOOP
Adding Edge Loops
- Sometimes you may need to add extra edges to an object to add more details.
- To do this go to Mesh Tools (Top Menu)
- Select ‘Insert Edge Loop’
- Click and hold on one of the edges, drag the mouse to preview where the new edge loop will be
- Release to apply the new edge loop
Offset Edge Loop
- You can also add new edge loops (2) relative to an existing edge loop, with equal distance between a current loop and the two new ones.
- To do this select ‘Mesh Tools’ > ‘Offset edge loop’
- Then click and drag FROM an existing loop
- This will apply new edge loops at either side of an existing loop with equal offsets
- Release the mouse button to apply new edge loops